4 September 2019, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND
This conference brings together the leaders in engineered wood design and construction. The development of both cross- laminated timber and laminated veneer lumber has coincided with the need for more carbon-friendly sustainable building solutions.
International examples feature in this conference regularly, but increasingly there is a focus on the leading architects, engineers and specifiers with considerable experience in CLT and LVL construction projects in New Zealand. These case studies form the key part of our annual conference series.
The objective of these events is to grow the capability and use of wood in commercial and multi-residential buildings throughout our cities. Architects, quantity surveyors, developers and project managers are the target audience for this growing programme of sustainable solutions and case studies.
What’s Changing Perceptions?
For the last three years, Changing Perceptions has grown from strength to strength and is now one of the foremost events driving change in how the industry builds with engineered timber.
While earlier programmes were aimed at changing the building industry’s view of engineered wood, the new name reflects the industry’s growth and visibility.
In recent years, mass timber for the commercial building industry has grown in leaps and bounds. Developers worldwide are capitalising on engineering timber components in new commercial buildings.
To keep pace with these global advances, the annual Changing Perceptions conference attracts the country’s leading architects, engineers and wood manufacturers. This one-day conference is held annually in Rotorua, the centre of NZ’s tourism and wood industries.
Changing Perceptions 2019 will further demonstrate the advantages for developers and tenants of using more timber in commercial construction. The event is organised by Innovatek. You can register for updates or contact us directly for further information.
Changing Perceptions 2019 will showcase the use of engineered timber internationally and explore changes in timber use within New Zealand. The value of wood is explored from different angles, including both emotive and economic responses to engineered timber buildings.
The programme focuses on:
- Building a sustainable future with timber
- Building performance, design and implementation
- Project delivery with mass timber
- Overcoming barriers and growing the market
CPD points are available for:
- We are working with industry associations at the moment to make CPD points available to conference delegates.
Who Will Attend?
The New Zealand engineered timber industry, including:
- Engineered timber manufacturers
- Engineered timber suppliers
- Quantity surveyors
- Engineered timber researchers
- Timber industry consultants
- Wood supply chain and logistics companies
- Trades representatives including builders, plumbers, electrical
Sponsorship & Exhibition Opportunities
The Changing Perceptions conference offers a tremendous opportunity for companies involved in wood engineering to be a part of the future of timber use in New Zealand construction. Exhibition spaces will be made available to sponsors of this conference. These booths will provide a unique platform for promoting your products and services to the industry.
To ensure you get a place at either event, if you’d like further information or if you haven’t yet seen a Sponsorship & Exhibition Pack, please contact John Stulen, Director, (+64) 7 921 1382 or (+64) 27 275 8011, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Novotel Auckland Airport Hotel, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND
Auckland Airport International Terminal, Ray Emery Dr, Auckland Airport, Auckland 2022
Novotel Auckland Airport is conveniently located directly outside of the International terminal and only walking distance from the domestic terminal, an Inter- terminal bus runs from the domestic terminal to the International terminal every 15 minutes and is complimentary.
Self service car parking in short-term uncovered Zone “A” 0-12 hours parking is $10.00 per ticket, and 12-24 hours is $30.00 per ticket. Please note Auckland International Airport has introduced a 90 min area within the short-term uncovered “A”.
Pre-Conference Icebreaker | Tuesday 3 September 2019
|5:30pm||Icebreaker: WPMA Regional Meeting + Design Guide updates with refreshments and canapes in Tauwaka Room
+ Pre-conference registrations open
Conference | Wednesday 4 September 2019
|7:00am||Registration opens + Breakfast nibbles & networkingIn Tauwaka Room on Floor 2|
|8:00am||Welcome from Innovatek - Your Conference HostsJohn Stulen, Innovatek|
|SESSION 1: International Mass Timber Markets & Issues|
|8:20am||Keynote Address: Lessons Learned from the Building Site - Key Aspects of Mass Timber Designs that Deliver the Best Results for ClientsRalph Austin, President, Seagate Mass Timber, Canada|
|9:10am||Practical Perspectives on Challenges and Opportunities for Mass Timber in Commercial Construction + How CLT Manufacturers are Meeting Building Code ChallengesGary Caulfield, Building Consultant and Nick Milestone, Chairman, TRADA, UK (Via video link)|
|10:00am||Coffee Break & Networking|
|SESSION 2: Building Performance: Design and Implementation Case StudiesSession Sponsor: Red Stag Timber|
|10:40am||LVL Case Study: Design and Site-Specific Challenges in the Beatrice Tinsley Building ProjectAndre Kirstein, Technical Director - Structural Engineering, Beca|
|11:20am||Case Study: To be advisedTBC|
|12.00pm||Lunch & Networking|
|SESSION 3: Project Delivery with Mass Timber - ExemplarsSession Sponsor: Futurebuild LVL | Session Chair: Jeremy van Diepen|
|1:00pm||Lendlease Approach to Mass Timber Buildings: Case Study - Kambri Redevelopment, CanberraAndrew Smith, Senior Project manager, Lendlease, Australia|
|1:45pm||Futurebuild LVL Case Study - Botany Toyota Dealership and WorkshopAlistair Scott, Senior Architect, Woodhams Meikle Zhan Architects; Rohan Pollard, Director, Blueprint Consulting Engineers and Andrew Hewitt, Projects Manager, Timberlab Solutions|
|2:05pm||Case Study: Lessons Learnt and Processes for Improvement for CLT Emergency Housing Builds (16 completed)Alistair Miles, Director, Miles Construction; Julian Addington, Director, Engco and Bernie O'Fagan, Director, RM Designs|
|2:45pm||Afternoon Tea & Networking|
|SESSION 4: Growing Our Markets - Where is Best Bang For Your Buck|
|3:15pm||Case Studies: How CLT is Reshaping the Australian Construction Industry and making us think differently about building projectsRob De Brincat, Business Development Manager, Atelier Projects, Australia|
|3:55pm||Moisture Management of Mass Timber BuildingsShawn McIsaac, Building Enclosure / Facade Designer, Oculus Architectural Engineering|
|4:15pm||Prefabricated Engineered Wood Products and Building Regulation: Practical and Tactical Legal IssuesLouise Swann, Principal, The Building Business|
|4:45pm||Final Networking Session over Drinks & Canapes|
Super Early Bird
$495Per Person excl. GST
Ended 14 June 2019Register Now!
$595Per Person excl. GST
Ended 26 July 2019Register Now!
$795Per Person excl. GST
From 27 July 2019Register Now!
$695Per Person excl. GST
3 or more delegatesRegister Now!
- All prices exclude 15% GST.
- A credit card fee of 2.5% applies to credit card transactions.
- The Group Rate is per person and requires 3 or more delegates from the same company.
- To be eligible for any special rates, registrations and payment must be received on or BEFORE the dates listed. All discounts require payment at time of registration and before the cut-off date in order to receive any discount.
- Any discounts offered (including group discounts) require payment at the time of registration.
- Your conference registration payment covers the morning and afternoon teas, lunches, refreshments, a conference handbook and access to presentations (electronic download for those presentations where presenter approval has been given).
- Cancellation policy: For cancellations made on or before Friday 28 June 2019, a 10% administration fee applies. Cancellations received after this date are non-refundable, however, they are transferable. Please allow 30 days for refunds to be processed. If you wish to transfer your registration to another individual from within your company, please provide us with at least 24 hours advance notice.
- The organisers reserve the right to change the programme when required.
- Click here for our full terms and conditions.
Innovatek specialises in connecting and supporting businesses with the latest intelligence, technologies and innovations best suited to their operations.
(+64) 7 921 1382
Building X91, Sala Street, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand